Bleeding gums can be quite common when brushing and flossing, and none of us are usually bothered to figure out what makes them bleed. For most of us, it’s a usual problem that’s faced by all most everyone around us and probably that’s the reason we start ignoring it. Do you think it’s right to possess such a careless attitude towards a disease? Well, if you ask me I would say it’s absolutely wrong. In fact, our careless attitude towards these minor oral problems remains the major reason that later on converts them into more serious forms of periodontal diseases such as gingivitis and periodontists.
According to a study, that was conducted by a team of researchers way back in 1999 at National Institutes of Health- the United States, the problem of bleeding gums is faced by all most half of the people in America above 30 years of age.
What are these bleeding gums and why do we suffer from them? If you have swollen and bleeding gums that means you are facing bacterial infection. And a bacterial infection in the gum line and around the teeth gives an indication of the outbreak of periodontal diseases. In simple terms periodontal swollen and bleeding gums are the most obvious and clear signs of periodontal diseases.
If you ignore to treat this type of bacterial infection in its initial stage, it may, later on, develop into a more dangerous periodontal disease like gingivitis which further has the potential to transform into periodontists. And what you need to understand is when periodontal diseases are in their most critical condition they can end up ruining or destroying your teeth.
Different Treatment Options for Periodontal Diseases
The entire aim of the treatment remains to control the inflammation caused by the disease. And the kind of treatment you should go for depends on the severity of the inflammation or the disease. If in case you have a habit of smoking you may have to quit it in order to enhance the treatment process. For example, it’s quite difficult for chain smokers to get rid with periodontal diseases if in case they are unable to quit or change their smoking habits.
If in case you want to go ahead with surgical treatments for gum disease they include –
- Flap surgery, bone grafts, soft tissue grafts, guided tissue regeneration, and bone surgery
- Flap surgery is carried out in order to remove tartar from the teeth and for doing so, your dental surgeon has to lift back the gums so that tartar can be cleaned thoroughly
- During flap surgery, the dentist also rectifies the irregular surfaces of the bones damaged due to the disease, so that the bacteria accountable for the disease cannot hide there anymore
- During this method, the space between the teeth and the gums is reduced so that the growth of the bacteria can be stopped
- On the other hand, the bone graft process is carried out to replace the damaged bone either with synthetic bone or with the fragments taken out from your own bone
- Bone graft eventually helps in the regrowth of your bone
- Apart from that soft tissue grafts procedure helps in strengthening the gums by filling in grafted tissues in the damaged areas
- If in case the bone that supports your teeth is damaged or destroyed then you can go ahead with the procedure of guided tissue regeneration
- Guided tissue regeneration reinforces the growth of bone and tissue
In addition, to that, you can also go ahead with the non-surgical treatment options for gum disease.
If we talk about the non-surgical treatment options it includes dental cleaning and scaling & root planing. Apart from opting for dental cleaning and scaling, you can also try treatment products for periodontal diseases such as PerioPatch and PeriActive.